Here is a typical day at Career and Academic Advising:
"Dunder Mifflin, this is Pam."
Oh wait. I only say that in my head. But I seriously am Pam. A couple of semester ago, Kelli and I decided who was what character from The Office. Kelli is all the black characters. Jeff is all the obscene ones (Creed, Dwight's cousin Mose, Meredith (or her son?? We're not really sure). He is also Jim because sadly he is the most suave and acts like Jim. Tricia is Andy because she never stops singing, and Brother Ahrendsen is Toby because nobody likes him.
Just kidding. Everybody loves Brother A! We just love to tease him by calling him Toby.
Ok. So a real typical day goes like this:
Me: "Career and Academic Advising, this is Kandace."
Caller: "Hi, I am looking at your website and am trying to get my son registered for classes. Can you help me find where I can go to see all the general requirements."
In my head I say: Shouldn't your son be calling himself? He's a big boy. I know you're a concerned parent who wants to help your precious child, but you need to take the training wheels off. Let him fly free. It will be good for him!
But what I really say is: I actually am not an advisor, but let me transfer you over to one and she can help you with your questions.
That is a very typical phone call which bores me to tears at times. It's the variety I get that spices up my life. I have had students yell at me, cry to me, over-zealously thank me, and threaten me. Once student shook my hand vigorously in thanks while another student asked me out on date (but then he chickened out and never came back to the office).
I once had a student demand she talk to someone who knew what they were talking about. Excuse me? I've worked here for a year. I think I know what I'm talking about. Don't believe my intelligence? Check my GPA. Kelli makes fun of my one 'B' every day.
Apart from the crazy and entertaining students, there is a lot of down time. This is where I process paperwork, eat the office candy, and make labels. Are you jealous yet? I also get to sit in on job interviews for the new receptionists. It's so much fun! Although it sounds boring (and at times it is) my job pretty much rocks.
Things I shouldn't do at work because my supervisor said so, but I do anyways because my boss doesn't care:
-Emailing
-Surfing Bulletin Board
-Facebooking
-Homework
-Blogging
-Indexing (yes, I downloaded the program on my computer and do it on
Fridays when no one is there!)
-Gossiping
-Talking to Tate (mostly about Harry Potter and the prestige of our jobs)
-Eating more than I should
-Balancing my check book
-Paying my bills
-Shopping (mostly books & movies. Definitely NOT clothes!)
-Planning my time for my MATS trip
-Researching random facts
and here's the kicker....ADVISING!
I tell the other receptionists all the time not to advise, and sometimes I catch myself doing it because I know the answer and there's nothing else to do.
I should:
-Read the catalog
-Read I-Learn
-Read the Outlook Occupational Outlook handbook
-Study the advising website until I have it memorized like the back of my hand
-Study the career library resources
But I don't because I'm graduating and I really don't care! Is apathy really such a bad thing? In this case, I submit that it is not.
The best thing about my job though, is the people. Hands down. This kind of conversation (directed either at me or Toby) is not atypical in the office:
I love my job and will be very sorry to leave it. Farewell dear CAC. You people are kind and good, and you will be missed.
I never understand how people can align their schedules to actually get an on campus job. It'd be impossible for me to ever have one because I have classes.
ReplyDelete