At one point during the summer, I thought it would never end, and now here we are already two weeks into the semester. Where did the time go?
This summer was pretty tough, to say the least. We found out some difficult news (which I don't want to share publicly over the net), and finding a job after graduation was a beast. In the three months I searched for a job, I was plagiarized, lied to, ignored (after several interviews, mind you, from multiple companies), offered a job only to have it rescinded, and even criticized by one grumpy HR lady. The process was awful.
May came and went. I was promised to start working at a company by June 1, but they changed their mind last minute. I wasted 2 weeks of job hunting on that job because I thought I had it in the bag already.
June came and we had a wonderful family reunion by Heber. We spent a day in Park City and rode the alpine slides. We also went on the Heber Creeper and celebrated my parents' 40th wedding anniversary. It was fun talking, relaxing, playing, and eating.
We moved to our new apartment just before the reunion. We spent the whole week prior to the reunion deep cleaning our apartment. It was disgusting! We even stayed there until 2 in the morning one night working on things trying to get it ready before we moved everything over. After the reunion, I spent the next week putting things away and cleaning. It took a couple weeks to get used to the new place, but finally it started to feel like home. Now, whenever we go over to Tyler and Carrie's, it's not the same; it's not our home anymore. But we love our new apartment, especially after we were finally able to get rid of all the bugs that invaded every night.
After the reunion, I hit job hunting hard again. Somewhere in the middle or end of June (I can't remember anymore, it's all blurred together) I hit a really low point. I was a finalist in every job I interviewed for, but I just wasn't getting any of the jobs. I felt so discouraged and frustrated, it got to the point where I didn't even want to get up in the morning. I finally asked Jonathon for a blessing. Let me tell you, priesthood blessings are amazing! I did not find a job the next day or anything, but I felt so much peace and comfort that everything would work out. I was promised God had a special place he wanted me to be, so I held onto that whenever things got tough.
The beginning of July I received an email from the Writing department at BYU asking if I'd be able to teach 3 sections in the Fall. I had applied to teach as an adjunct halfheartedly; it was my back up plan. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching. I just wanted a more stable career. You know, one that comes with benefits and such. But I told the Writing department that if I were hired, I could do it. The next 2-3 weeks I interviewed with a LOT of places. I wanted to keep my options open and see if anything better came along. The end of July came and I was offered 2 different positions--one at an insurance company and another at a loan management software company. FINALLY, after more than 100 applications and 40 interviews, I was offered jobs; real jobs! They both came with benefits, but the pay was not great...
After weighing all the pros and cons a million and one times, I decided not to accept either position and instead work adjunct at BYU in the Fall. I was assigned to teach Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays, so with Tuesdays and Thursdays open, I decided to find another part time job to keep me busy while Jonathon worked through his busiest semester. I had started looking for a part time job the middle of July and by the first week in August, I started my new job at Murphy Business and Financial as an Administrative Assistant.
Life definitely didn't go as planned. By this point, I wanted to be working full-time as an executive assistant. But things worked out and God knows what he's doing. We've been incredibly blessed. Teaching has already had its challenges, but its also been very rewarding. And I've learned so much working at Murphy already, which has also been a challenge at times, but in a good way. It's pushed me to do things I didn't know I could do and help me refine some useful skills.
I'm still not as busy as Jonathon at this point, but let's see if that changes once the big papers hit and need to be graded :P
No comments:
Post a Comment