How it all began:
I was in Broadway Revue last semester and performed "All I Ask of You" from Phantom of the Opera with Kevin.
I knew I couldn't perform in this show again the next semester, but I really wanted to be involved. The show I performed in was so boring! I wanted to fall asleep. The performances were good, but that was it.
So, I applied for manager and got it. I found the news out in the middle of composing my 60 page thesis for Rhetoric. Allison and I jumped up and down in the kitchen over the news, excited that we'd get to be on Talent together. The one downfall: She wouldn't be my coordinater :(
The Process:
As this semester began, I started formulating ideas I wanted for the show. I wanted it to be very Broadway based (for I am a Broadway nerd--I know too many musicals for my own good.) I wanted the performers to assume the persona of the character they were portraying in their songs. Some did very well. Others treated how I wasn't particularly fond of--like a vocal concert. But what can you do? I encouraged them all and tried to set it up as best as I could.
I wrote the script (though the final version didn't get to emcee. Oh well!) and I tried to set up the scene of each performer so the audience could get a better idea of what the performers' songs were about.
The Show:
As a mother, you can't really be biased about your kids. I try not to be. My performers were all amazing. But I still had my favorites :)
"Adelaide's Lament" from Guys and Dolls
Gotta love the 80's! "Almost Paradise" from Footloose
I just loved the fog machine on this one. The song was "Music of the Night" from Phantom of the Opera.
The funniest, and by far, most entertaining number! A favorite song of mine "Agony" from Into the Woods.
Brother & Sister performing "There Never Was a Time" from The Scarlet Pimpernel.
What's ironic about The Scarlet Pimpernel number is it was probably the best vocally, but it is not technically from the musical. It was added after the musical created and put on an album titled something like "Music That's Not in the Musical." So, I had fun fibbing the scene for this one. I basically said this is where Marguerite discovers Percy in jail--right before he is about to be killed.
Best moment from the show: The emcee pronounced "Pimpernel" as "PIM-PUR-NULL" with the accent on the second syllable. The script had "Pimpernel" written in it 3 or 4 times, so each time the emcee pronounced, the audience laughed a little harder. That poor man! I would have been extremely embarrassed. But it made the show much more entertaining!
I wanted to end the show with a group number, so I had all of the performers learn "Seasons of Love" from Rent.
I had difficulities zooming, so I stopped it and tried again:
Overall, the show was a success!
But, I can't forget my one supporter who, in my desperate moment, said the opening prayer:
Me & Izzy (after the show)
The performers were fabulous and very kind to me! Some gave me hugs after the show and thanked me. I am so grateful to them for helping to make the show so amazing. Without them, it would have been impossible! They were my one saving grace. If every other memory I take away from Talent is tainted, at least I can relish in joy at working with these performers. They are wonderful people.
Such a great show! I loved the ending cause Rent's one of my favorite.
ReplyDeletei have SUCH guilt!!! and for the record, I thought your show was amazing. I'm sorry your Talent was less than enjoyable. I've loved having you there though :)
ReplyDeleteYou did awesome :)
ReplyDeleteIt was kind of funny because a lot of the people who I didn't like that much during the auditions did way better, and vice versa.
Kandace!
ReplyDelete(1) I am SO SAD that I missed your show, but it sounds like it was AMAZING! Congratulations on doing such a fabulous job!
(2) I'm kind of depressed that we never got to do Talent board together...but hey, we did get to perform in We've Got the 90's together...which is close...and I guess you also helped me with Guitars...which is closer...both experiences will always be wonderful and joyous memories for me!
(3) I know I've said this before, but I seriously love the cover you did of All I Ask of You w/Kevin last semester. So beautiful!
(4) I'm sorry being in Talent had it's rough moments....but you're right...having awesome performers always seems to make up for it!